Tax Day actions, April 2021
For workshops and presentations around the country, see the gatherings page.
Read about and participate in Collective Redirection — see p.5 of our newsletter for info about Collective Redirection and a reporting form.
“Where Your Income Tax Money Really Goes” — War Resisters League pie chart, https://www.warresisters.org/resources/wrl-pie-chart-flyers-where-your-income-tax-money-really-goes
Also, see the Global Days of Action on Military Spending information and events list. NWTRCC supports this worldwide effort.
State By State NWTRCC network listings
- Monday May 17, 7-8 am. Vigil at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base to raise awareness tax payer money to fund wars and occupations, the profits made by Raytheon and to remember those lives lost to drones and other instruments of war. Park at recreation field parking lot at N-W corner of Craycroft & Golf Links with access from Craycroft. Signs provided, or bring your own! More info: 323-8697 or email@example.com
- April 15, 6-7:30p. The People’s Life Fund will host a redirection ceremony to invest $61,000 to community to community needs in the Bay Area. A spokesperson from each group receiving the grant will provide a brief intro to their mission and their work. We will end with optional “Choose Your Own” Breakout Groups for anyone who wants to stay for a few extra minutes to chat with other war tax resisters or other grantees. Zoom Meeting ID: 848 6187 3552. Passcode: 739561 One tap mobile: +16699006833 For more information see, www.nowartax.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Diego Area
- Thursday, April 15, 11a-Noon. Tax Day Action at the Border: Move our Money from Death to Life. A 2021 tax day vigil to mourn deaths, pain, and suffering caused by U.S. policies at the U.S.-Mexico border. This event will take place at the San Diego-Tijuana Border. (Exact location is pending.) Sponsored by the Peace Resource Center of San Diego, the American Friends Service Committee, and Otay Mesa Detention Center. For more information contact Anne at the Peace Resource Center at email@example.com or a Facebook link to the event.
- Thursday April 15 All day. Online social media messaging on U.S. taxes and military spending. For more information, see www.wrlchicago.org.
- Monday April 12 4:30-5:30 pm. Vigil outside Federal Building at Jefferson and Main. Sponsored by Michiana War Tax Refusers. For more information, contact Peter Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or (574) 532-3720.
- Monday May 17 4:30-5:30 pm. Vigil outside Federal Building at Jefferson and Main. Sponsored by Michiana War Tax Refusers. For more information, contact Peter Smith at email@example.com or (574) 532-3720.
- Monday May 17 Noon. Rally on the Green at the Brunswick Mall with speakers and open mic. Sponsored by ME Veteran for Peace, Peace Action Maine, PeaceWorks of Gr. Brunswick, Poor People’s Campaign Maine, & Maine Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom. For more information, See flyer at PeaceWorks Brunswick.
- April 15 7-8:30 pm. A Tax Day Like No Other: Teach In. For information about speakers and how to register for the webinar hosted by Mass Peace Action and New England War Tax Resisters click here. For additional information email firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-354-2169
- May 17, Noon. Rally at O’Neill Federal Building, 10 Causeway, Boston, Massachusetts. “Pressing for our Budget Priorities amid Pandemic, Cconomic and Climate crises, and New Cold Wars.” As we move into the post-pandemic, Biden era, it’s time to change what we buy with our tax dollars. The pandemic and the resulting economic crisis illuminated glaring inequalities and the human costs of budget priorities that enrich the wealthy and left people unable to protect their health, hungry and homeless, while the military-industrial complex drowns in super-profits and paves the way for new and dangerous Cold Wars. Trillions have been spent chasing demons abroad and “bad hombres” at our borders, but Covid-19 bring us to our knees. This Tax Day, stand with us and demand that your tax dollars be spent on the PEOPLE and on the PLANET, and not on the profits of corporations and wealthy individuals. For additional information, see http://masspeaceaction.org/event/this-tax-day-put-people-planet-over-profits/ or email email@example.com, 617-354-2169
- TBA Redirection Ceremony by New England War Tax Resistance NEWTR Alternative Fund. For more information contact Craig Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday April 15, 12noon- 2pm. Vigil at IRS Building at 12th and Spruce. For more information, contact Chrissy Kirchhoefer at 314.660.2300 or email@example.com.
- Thursday, April 15, Noon-1pm. Vigil and leafleting outside the IRS office, 290 Broadway at Duane Street, across from the Federal Building. War tax redirections may be announced. Info: Sponsored by NYC War Resisters League, Veterans for Peace/Chapter 34, Brooklyn For Peace, Peace Action New York State, Granny Peace Brigade, Peace Action of Staten Island, Manhattan Project for a Nuclear Free World, Catholic Worker, Kairos Community. For more information: www.nycwarresisters.org/demonstrations or call (718) 768-7306.
- Monday, May 17, 3-5pm. Begins at 3:00 pm at the MILITARY RECRUITING STATION (Times Square 43rd St. & Broadway). At 3:30 pm we will march to the GPO/train station (Eighth Ave. between 32nd & 33rd Streets). At 4:00 pm we will Demonstrate outside the General Post Office/Moynihan train station. Sponsored by NYC War Resisters League, Veterans for Peace/Chapter 34, Brooklyn For Peace, Peace Action New York State, Granny Peace Brigade, Peace Action of Staten Island, Manhattan Project for a Nuclear Free World, Catholic Worker, Kairos Community. For more information: nycWRL@nycwarresisters.org • 718-768-7306 • www.nycwarresisters.org
- Saturday, April 10, 7:00pm Eastern (Zoom). War Tax Resister Frida Berrigan will discuss Dr. King’s words about racism militarism and excessive materialism. This event is cosponsored by the Cleveland Nonviolence Network, Cleveland Peace Action, Northeast Ohio Sierra Club, and the Inter Religious Task Force on Central America and Colombia. Information about the event, including registration information can be found here: www.facebook.com/events/3007265722933910/
- Saturday April 10, 9 am-3 pm. Vigil at the Farmers Market between High and Oak Street with a large banner to indicate military spending in the U.S. People interested in helping to organize the event, or needing more information can call Sue Barnhart at 541-731-1189 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday April 15. Time TBA Vigil at IRS office at the old Federal Building 211 East 7th Avenue. People interested in helping to organize the event, or needing more information can call Sue Barnhart at 541-731-1189 or email@example.com
- Saturday May 15, 9 am-3 pm. Vigil at the Farmers Market between High and Oak Street with a large banner to indicate military spending in the U.S. People interested in helping to organize the event, or needing more information can call Sue Barnhart at 541-731-1189 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday May 17 Time TBA Vigil at IRS office at the old Federal Building 211 East 7th Avenue. People interested in helping to organize the event, or needing more information can call Sue Barnhart at 541-731-1189 or email@example.com
- Thursday, April 15, 7:30-9am. Sign-holding on Portland bridges (Burma Shave Style). Meet at E. Burnside and MLK Jr. Blvd. Sponsored by War Resisters League – Portland. For more information, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, April 14, 7:30pm Eastern. Zoom “Service of Lament & Dedication.” Participants will lament the portion of federal taxes that support the military and dedicate to God letters of dissent to the U.S. government as well as conscientious objector contributions to peacebuilding organizations (perhaps in lieu of paying that portion, or symbolic amount, of the current federal tax levy that underwrites war and militarism).
Zoom info: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85245131803?pwd=UTdibTNtckV3SmpUNUpqTW5WUHBoUT09
Meeting ID: 852 4513 1803
One tap mobile: +19292056099
- Wednesday, May 12, 9:30a Eastern. Zoom. Attorney Peter Goldberger will explore the current feasibility of taking war tax resistance/redirection through the courts given what appears to be a more conservative judicial system that might be more amenable to religious freedom issues. 1040 for Peace sees this session as a continuation of his November 8, 2014 “What Does the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby Decision Mean for War Tax Resisters?” which was presented at one of NWTRCC’s national conferences.
Zoom info: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81306742056?pwd=a2lrZlJIT2tCTFI4OWNVMzRXRVdnUT09
Meeting ID: 813 0674 2056
One tap mobile: +13017158592
- TBA For more information see www.grannypeacebrigadephiladelphia.org/upcoming-events.html or email GPBP03@gmail.com.
- Saturday, April 10, Noon-1pm. Vigil to protest federal tax dollars for war and environmental harm, U.S. Army Reserve, 5130 W. Silver Spring Dr. Sponsored by Milwaukee War Tax Resistance, Casa Maria Catholic Worker, & Peace Action of Wisconsin. For more info, contact Lincoln or Mikel, Casa Maria at email@example.com or (414) 344-5745.
- Monday, May 17, 10am-6pm. WTR information table outside the Brattleboro Food Coop, 2 Main Street. Sponsored by Pioneer Valley War Tax Resistance. For more information, contact Daniel Sicken at 802-387-2798 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday, April 15, 2:30p Eastern/ 11:30a Pacific. Webinar as part of the Voices of Conscientious Objection series. This webinar will focus on the history of conscientious objection to military taxation. Three excellent speakers will explore a different facet of the topic: Robin Brookes, Mary Lou Leavitt and Monica Frisch. Registration is required. Register for the event here.
Let us know what you are doing—any time of year—and we’ll post your war tax resistance actions and events on our website.