War Tax Resistance Gathering and Coordinating Committee Meeting
Portland & Corvallis, Oregon
November 1-3, 2019
If you cannot attend in person, there will be a virtual connection for some sessions and the Sunday a.m. business meeting (registration required). Saturday sessions will be held at the Corvallis Friends Meeting House (3311 NW Polk Ave Corvallis, OR 97330) unless otherwise noted. Friday events will be at The Peace House in Portland (2116 NE 18th Ave, Portland, OR 97212). All who requested housing will be staying at the homes of local activists.
Weekend Schedule (subject to some adjustments)
Friday, November 1
5 pm: Arrival/Registration/Dinner – Peace House (2116 NE 18th Ave, Portland, OR 97212)
6:00 – 7:30 pm: “The Impact of the Pentagon on the Climate Crisis”
- A panel will discuss the negative consequences of the Pentagon in the Climate Crisis. The speakers: Sue Barnhart (of NWTRCC, Taxes for Peace Not War, Planet vs Pentagon, 350 Eugene, Extinction Rebellion Eugene, The Red Rebel Brigade of Lane County, Oregon Community Asylum Network, the NAACP, and Showing Up for Racial Justice), Susan Macomson (of Planet vs Pentagon, with previous work with NARAL, and organizing against Shell’s oil platform and the oil train protest at the PGA in Tacoma), Susan Cundiff (educator who served on the national board of Women’s Action for New Directions (WAND) with its roots in nuclear disarmament), and Michael Carrigan (worked for Oregon Wild, Oregon Peace Works, and Justice Not War Coalition, and currently works for Community Alliance of Lane County [CALC], also member of 350 Eugene, Eugene Extinction Rebellion, and Planet vs Pentagon). This event will be held at Peace House (2116 NE 18th Ave, Portland, OR 97212).
Saturday, November 2
Unless otherwise noted, Saturday sessions will be held at the Corvallis Friends Meeting House (3311 NW Polk Ave Corvallis, OR 97330)
8:00 – 9:00 am: Breakfast, Check-In
9:00 – 10:00: Schedule Review, Organizational & Personal Introductions. This session and the following workshop sessions will be facilitated by Jill McAllister, pastor of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Corvallis, who has experience in bringing groups together to dialogue.
10:00 – 11:45: Workshop for WTR and Environmentalist Collaboration, Part 1.
- This morning session will be dedicated to bringing together war tax resisters and environmental activists to share their stories, discover their common ground, and envision collaborative paths forward that move the cause of both movements. [There will be a coffee break and snacks]
Noon-1:00 pm: Lunch
1:00 – 3:00 pm: War Tax Resistance & Environmentalist Collaborative Workshop
- The morning session will focus more on getting to know each other, our priorities, and realistic collaborative projects. The afternoon session will focus on ranking possible projects, then dividing into groups to begin action plans for top three or four priorities.
3:15 – 4:30pm: Concurrent Sessions for Newly interested and Current War Tax Resisters & Art Build for Saturday Afternoon Peace Vigil
- War Tax Resistance 101 An introduction to the why and how of this form of resistance, with discussion of potential consequences and resource referral. For people new to WTR or just getting started.
- WTR 102 Updates, trends, and Q&A for current war tax resisters. With NWTRCC Coordinator Lincoln Rice and the expert resisters in attendance!
- Art Build: If you are more art-oriented, feel free to join the creative folks as they create eye-catching props for the Saturday afternoon Peace Vigil in front of the Court House that may include street theater.
5:00 – 6:00 pm: Corvallis Daily Peace Vigil
The Daily Peace Vigil in Corvallis in front of the Benton County Courthouse (120 NW 4th St) has been a daily event since 2001 with the U.S. Invasion of Iraq.
6:30 – 7:30 pm : Supper & Wrap-Up
7:00 – 9:00 pm: Free Time
Sunday, November 6
8:00 – 9:00 am: Breakfast (The Common House – 1975 SE Crystal Lake Drive – the first building with the copula when you pull in the parking lot – we will be in the Main Meeting Room)
9:00 – Noon: NWTRCC Business meeting (The Common House – 1975 SE Crystal Lake Dr.)
Noon – 1:00: Lunch & cleanup
Gathering logistics and online registration form