War Tax Resistance Gathering and Coordinating Committee Meeting
Portland & Corvallis, Oregon
November 1-3, 2019
If you cannot attend in person, there will be a virtual connection for some sessions and the Sunday a.m. business meeting (registration required). Saturday sessions will be held at the Corvallis Friends Meeting House (3311 NW Polk Ave Corvallis, OR 97330) unless otherwise noted. Friday events will be at The Peace House in Portland (2116 NE 18th Ave, Portland, OR 97212). All who requested housing will be staying at the homes of local activists.
Weekend Schedule (subject to some adjustments)
Friday, November 1
5 pm: Arrival/Registration/Dinner – Peace House (2116 NE 18th Ave, Portland, OR 97212)
6:00 – 7:30 pm: “The Impact of Militarization and Nuclear Weapons on Puget Sound”
- Elizabeth Murray (of Ground Zero Center for Nonviolent Action) will speak on the impact of militarization and nuclear weapons on Puget Sound. Since 2014, she has lived in residence at Ground Zero Center, which directly boarders on the Bangor Trident Base, which houses a nuclear trident missile system. She served as Deputy National Intelligence Officer for the Near East in the National Intelligence Council before retiring in 2010 after a 27-year career in the US government. She is a member of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity. This event will be held at Peace House (2116 NE 18th Ave, Portland, OR 97212).
Saturday, November 2
Unless otherwise noted, Saturday sessions will be held at the Corvallis Friends Meeting House (3311 NW Polk Ave Corvallis, OR 97330)
8:00 – 9:00 am: Breakfast
9:00 – 9:45: Introductions, Schedule Review, Orientation
10:00 – 11:45: Concurrent Sessions for Newly interested and Current War Tax Resisters & Art Build for Saturday Afternoon Peace Vigil
- War Tax Resistance 101 An introduction to the why and how of this form of resistance, with discussion of potential consequences and resource referral. For people new to WTR or just getting started.
- WTR 102 Updates, trends, and Q&A for current war tax resisters. With NWTRCC Coordinator Lincoln Rice and the expert resisters in attendance!
- Art Build: If you are more art-oriented, feel free to join the creative folks as they create eye-catching props for the Saturday afternoon Peace Vigil in front of the Court House that may include street theater.
Noon-1:00 pm: Lunch
1:00 – 4:30 pm: War Tax Resistance & Environmentalist Collaborative Workshop
- This afternoon session will be dedicated to bringing together war tax resisters and environmental activists to share their stories, discover their common ground, and envision collaborative paths forward that move the cause of both movements. The session will be facilitated by Jill McAllister, pastor of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Corvallis, who has experience in bringing groups together to dialogue.
5:00 – 6:00 pm: Corvallis Daily Peace Vigil
The Daily Peace Vigil in Corvallis in front of the Benton County Courthouse (120 NW 4th St) has been a daily event since 2001 with the U.S. Invasion of Iraq.
6:00 – 7:30 pm : Supper
7:00 – 9:00 pm: Free Time
Sunday, November 6
8:00 – 9:00 am: Breakfast (The Common House – 1975 SE Crystal Lake Drive – the first building with the copula when you pull in the parking lot – we will be in the Main Meeting Room)
9:00 – Noon: NWTRCC Business meeting (The Common House – 1975 SE Crystal Lake Dr.)
Noon – 1:00: Lunch & cleanup