From Now to Tax Day, Tuesday, April 17, 2018
For workshops and presentations around the country, see the gatherings page.
Read about and participate in Collective Redirection – see pp. 9 and 10 of our newsletter for info about Collective Redirection and a reporting form.
Nationwide Spring Actions • End the Wars at Home and Abroad!
Also, see the Global Days of Action on Military Spending – US information and events list. NWTRCC supports this worldwide effort.
Tucson — Contact Nuclear Resister or (520) 323-8697
- Tuesday, April 17, 7 a.m.–8 a.m. Tax Day vigil at Raytheon Missile Systems, Hermans Road entrance to the plant (3rd traffic light south of Valencia on Nogales Highway, the extension of South 6th Avenue). Join the Raytheon Peacemakers as we demonstrate against war and those who profit from it. Survival demands better ideas, not better weapons. Park off Nogales Highway, between railroad tracks and highway at the Hermans Road entrance. Signs provided, or bring your own!
- Sunday, April 15, 6 pm — People’s Life Fund public potluck and awards ceremony at the BFUU Fellowship Hall: 1924 Cedar St. Berkeley CA. (Near North Berkeley BART). The People’s Life Fund is looking forward to redirecting a record breaking $65,000 in resisted war taxes to local peace and justice organizations this year! The evening is always a joyous and inspiring evening, and you are encouraged to come out! See the group’s Facebook page for updates and more information.
Chicago — War Resisters League, Chicago Chapter
- Monday, April 16, 11 am – 1 pm, Pay No War Tax Demonstration with speakers and leafleting at Federal Plaza, Dearborn + Adams Streets. in downtown Chicago. Participate in the “penny” poll using “democracy dollars” to show where you want your money to go. For more information contact:
Charles Paidock, (312) 714-7790 or Brad Lyttle, (773) 324-0654.
South Bend — Contact Michiana War Tax Refusers
- Monday, April 16, 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Vigil to catch folks leaving work outside the Federal Building in downtown South Bend.
- Tabling and leafleting at locations around the state.
Mon., 4/2, 2pm-4pm Southern Maine Community College Campus Center
Sat., 4/7, 10am-2pm, Belfast Coop
Tues., 4/10, 11am-2pm Bates College Commons, Lewiston, ME
Wed., 4/11, 10am-3pm University of Southern Maine, Portland, Student Union, with polar bear!
Sat., 4/14- Mon. 4/16 Table and workshop “Organizing Against Militarism in your Community” at Resources for Organizing Social Change’s Youth Activism Gathering, Pine Tree Camp, Rome, ME
Sat., 4/14/, 11am-3pm Blue Hill coop
Sat., 4/14, 11am-1pm, and Tues., 4/17 11 am – 1pm Damariscotta post office (PO)
Tues., 4/17, 11 am – 1 pm, Unity College student union lobby
Tues., 4/17, 8am-5pm, Lobsterman Park outside Nickelodeon Movie Theater, Portland, with Downeast band Fire in the Commons and speakers from Noon to 1. (rain location: Portland Media Center, 516 Congress St)
Tues., 4/17, 10am-2pm UMaine, Farmington, student union
Tues., 4/17, 11am-1pm Brunswick PO sponsored by PeaceWorks
Tues., 4/17, 11am-1pm Unity College student union lobby
Tues., 4/17, time TBA, Bowdoin College
Tues., 4/17, 11am-2pm, UMaine, Orono, student union
Tues., 4/17, 11am-1pm and Wed., 4/18, 11am-1pm UMaine, Machias, Torrey Hall next to the library
Dates TBA – College of the Atlantic; Ellsworth, ME; USM, Lewiston; University of New England Earth month; Bethel.
Contact the Resource Center if you would like materials for leafleting or a literature table.
- Saturday, April 14, Noon – 2:30 pm — Cambridge Common, Garden St and Massachusetts Ave. President Trump’s tax bill is ensuring billions of dollars in profits to large corporations and peanuts to working people. His Pentagon spending will lead to more wars, kill a lot of people, and make us less safe. Cuts in essential programs from Climate protection to Medicaid, Housing, Social Security and Medicare are in the offing. We must turn around Washington’s budget insanity. Join us on Tax Day to call attention to these dangers while promoting our budget priorities to fund the programs we all need. At AFSC, contact Paul Shannon.
New England War Tax Resistance will have a table, penny poll, and announce grants from resisted taxes alternative fund. Contact NEWTR to participate with them.
- Tuesday, April 17, Noon–1 p.m. “Save a Life – Refuse War Taxes”. Signs and flyering during lunch hour with Tin Horn Uprising marching band in front of Congressman Faso’s office, 721 Broadway, Kingston (next to Broadway Lights Diner). Sponsoring organization: Rise Up Hudson Valley. Email Rise Up for more info.
New York City
- Sunday, April 15, 2 p.m. “End the Wars at Home and Abroad!” Planning is underway for this rally and march as part of the Spring 2018 Actions, endorsed and being planned by many groups around the country. in NYC, meet at Union Square at 2 followed by a march to Trump Tower.
- Tuesday, April 17, Noon–1 p.m. Vigil and leafleting outside the IRS office, 290 Broadway at Duane Street, across from the Federal Building. War tax redirections may be announced. Sponsored by NYC War Resisters League or (718) 768-7306. Other sponsors will be added.
Eugene – Contact Taxes for Peace!
- Sunday, April 15, 1-3 pm. Rally and tabling at EWEB then march to the old Federal Building then on to the new Federal Building and then loop back to EWEB. Speakers, music, Spanish and sign language interpreters, penny poll, and a “bar graph” along the march route showing folks how much of their tax dollars goes to military versus education, environment, etc. Stops along the route will mark points on the graph — showing how far you walk to fund people & planet vs. military. Music and speeches and giving away resisted tax money at the end. List of sponsors (expected to be many) and more details coming soon!
Portland — Sponsored by War Resisters League of Portland/Oregon Community of War Tax Resisters, Email or phone (503) 249-6343
- Date and time TBA. Annual “Burma Shave” style signs on the bridges demanding no taxes for war.
- Tuesday, April 17, 10 am – 3 pm. War tax resistance literature and counseling, plus music appropriate for these times. Outside the Brattleboro Food Coop, 2 Main Street.
Wisconsin — contact Milwaukee War Tax Resistance & Casa Maria Catholic Worker
- Tuesday, April 17, 5 pm – 6:30 pm Tax Day Vigil at the Downtown Milwaukee Post Office, 345 W Saint Paul Ave, 53203. For more information email or call Lincoln Rice – 414-342-1911.
Add Your Event