You can be active with war tax resistance and the National War Tax Resistance
Coordinating Committee (NWTRCC)
in many ways, both as an individual and as part of a group:
- Contact a group near you to join
with resisters in your community, or start a group locally. Contact NWTRCC for help.
- Subscribe to the newsletter More Than A
Paycheck to stay up-to-date with technical and organzing
news related to war tax resistance.
- Join the war tax resistance support & discussion email list,
Click here to read
online or to subscribe.
- Come to a gathering or event. Click on the “Events” button to the
- Volunteer for committees or projects. Our active committees include
Fundraising and the Rapid Outreach Working Group. We always need help with film and other
promotion, literature creation and production, writing for the newsletter,
artwork for publications or the website, outreach, or office work
(in our Brooklyn, N.Y. office).
Send an email if you’d like to
- Experienced war tax resisters are needed around the country as
Area Contacts or War Tax
- Join our snail-mail list (email
us your contact info) and help support NWTRCC financially.
Contributions of all sizes are appreciated.
- Send an email to the NWTRCC office if
you would like to be added to our E-mailing list. We send six to seven
mailings per year to announce publication of More Than A
Paycheck online, upcoming events, new resources, and technical
information of particular note.
- Post notices and ideas to the NWTRCC Facebook page.
- Groups can do all of the above or become a NWTRCC
Affiliate. Whether war tax resistance is on your
agenda or not, your solidarity with NWTRCC and those who refuse to pay for war is is deeply appreciated.
War Tax Resistance Network
The NWTRCC Network includes group Affiliates or Alternative Funds, and individual Counselors and Area Contacts. You’ll find the Network List under the “Who We Are” button to the left. If you or your group are interested in becoming a part of our Network, please read the information for each category below and let us know how you’d like to participate. Contact the NWTRCC office with questions or to join us.
War Tax Resistance (WTR) Counselors
Counselors are war tax resisters who volunteer to support existing and
potential resisters by helping them to understand the motivations and methods
of war tax protest, resistance, refusal, and redirection, and to understand
the consequences of the choices they make. They will:
- Provide their names, addresses and telephone numbers for
NWTRCC.’s Network List.
- Respond to requests for general information on WTR.
- Nondirectively* counsel individuals to help them determine
their goals in regards to WTR, to
discover the options most appropriate to their situation, and to assess
realistically the possible consequences of those options.
- Assist war tax resisters who are having problems dealing with the
IRS by providing information
on IRS policies and
- Refer war tax resisters to other counselors, lawyers, professionals, or
the NWTRCC office as necessary when the situation needs more
time or knowledge than they have for adequate resolution.
- Refer to More Than A Paycheck to stay informed and up-to-date
about changes in IRS
practice and applicable laws.
- Keep the NWTRCC office informed of changes in their address
and availability, and of special cases which come to them.
* WTR counselors should be careful not to advise or try to convince counselees to follow one particular course of action, but rather assist them to understand their options and to make responsible decisions.
All WTR counselors on the Network List
will receive a subscription to More Than A Paycheck,
NWTRCC’s bi-monthly newsletter.
New counselors are encouraged to attend a counselors’ training session
(usually offered at our twice-yearly meetings) or to receive an update
in-person from a current counselor. Please contact the
office about setting up a training. Counselors should be able to answer many
basic questions about war tax resistance and know where to find answers or
refer individuals for more difficult situations.
Area Contacts are individuals or groups who volunteer to support
and the war tax resistance movement in their area in the following ways:
- Provide your group’s name, address and telephone number for
NWTRCC’s Network List
- Respond to requests for information by:
- Answering from your own experience and knowledge, or;
- Supplying basic WTR materials
from a stock you keep on hand (You may charge costs for this
- Evaluate the complexity of concerns and refer questions for counseling to
WTR counselors, the NWTRCC office, or to
lawyers, CPA’s or other
professionals as appropriate.
- Keep track of WTR activities in
your area and pass the info on to the
- To the extent that you are able, promote, advertise, and network
WTR in your area. Possible
- Helping individuals connect with
WTR groups, and helping
groups to cooperate with each other on
- Advocating tax day demonstrations and other resistance
- Providing op-eds (opinion editorials) and advertisements for local
publications and developing relations with area journalists in order
to spread the idea of
- Setting up and participating in trainings for
- Convincing organizations to accept
WTR as part of their concerns
Area contacts will automatically receive a subscription to More Than A
Paycheck, NWTRCC’s bi-monthly newsletter. Area
contacts are willing to take calls about war tax resistance and help hook
people up with the resources they need.
Affiliates are groups that are generally more active in the
WTR movement. All of the above applies
to them, but in addition, affiliates receive the following:
- Reduced costs on some NWTRCC materials;
- Technical assistance on WTR
organizing, counseling, alternative funds, and local
- Participation in the NWTRCC decision-making process as
members of the Coordinating Committee;
- Coordination of Tax Day activities with other groups and national
- Updates on late-breaking WTR
developments. Please note that affiliates are asked to make annual
affiliation contributions to
Suggested amounts are $50–$100 per year for local groups, $125–$300 for
regional groups and $500 for national groups.
Regional groups would be the group in a large city, for example, or for a
region of a state or several states. If you or your group are interested in
affiliation or becoming a counselor or contact,
email the NWTRCC office
or call us toll free at (800) 269-7464.
Rapid Outreach Working Group (ROWG)
This group was created to identify and contact emerging actions, groups, or
movements that might be receptive to incorporating war tax resistance.
Committee members will:
- compose a standard or customizable information packet we can send to the
organizers of such actions, groups, or movements to tell them how
WTR can contribute to their goals
and how NWTRCC can help them incorporate war tax resistance;
- send out an information packet to such groups as they are discovered
- form a brief message designed for NWTRCC members to let them know about the action, group, or movement
ROWG helped involve
in “Stop the Machine! Create a New World!” in Washington DC in
October, the United National Antiwar Committee national conference in
Stamford, Connecticut, and links in advance of tax day from the Iran Pledge of
Resistance and the Global Day of Action on Military Spending.
To help with this group contact David