Do you need a laugh these days? I definitely do. A lot of times, I rely on humor that’s based on things happening in real life. Here are some things that have made me laugh, even if I’m laughing ruefully.
- The Onion – Military-Industrial Complex Recalls Coming Together After 9/11
- this article and video from CBS featuring clips of the comedian and activist Dick Gregory, who passed away in August (potentially NSFW, strong language bleeped)
- this editorial cartoon on US-funded Israeli occupation by Stephanie McMillan
- the podcast Politically Reactive with comedians W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu
- George Carlin’s standup bit, “We like war” (definitely NSFW – language, sexual references!)
- The Onion – Peaceful Protest Interrupted by Swarm of Aggressive Black-Clad Militants
- Aparna Nancherla on Twitter. For example:
Putting Trump in charge of diplomacy is like getting a face-eating virus to do a makeup tutorial. Best case scenario: it does nothing.
— Aparna Nancherla (@aparnapkin) September 3, 2017
- a song from Team America World Police – Freedom Isn’t Free (NSFW, language)
- Eddie Izzard on flags (one of my favorites for completely laying bare the exploitative logic of imperialism and settler colonialism):
“We [Britain] stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. “I claim India for Britain!”
They go, “You can’t claim us, we live here. Five hundred million of us!”
[Britain:] “Do you have a flag?”
[India:] “We don’t need a bloody flag, this is our country, you bastard.”
[Britain:] “No flag, no country, you can’t have one. That’s the rules… that I’ve just made up.” “
Check out our page of memes for a few more humorous (and simply informative) images that you can share on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or elsewhere.
Anything else making you laugh lately? Share the humor or a link in the comments!
Post by Erica Leigh